Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Back to the Topic of Heat

I came home from work on New Years Eve and it was 12 degrees Celcius in my apartment (53 degrees Farenheit). Last time I checked that is well below room temperature and I know for a fact it is well below the minimum that a super is required to keep the temperature here in P Dot. Now this has been an ongoing issue. And shortly after I moved in I complained and complained and threatened to file a complaint under the landlord-tenants act. All I got was, "We're concerned about the issue but we're not sure what to do about it." And nothing ever came of it. I gave up fighting it because it seemed to be a lost cause... But this was too much. It's one thing when I work the shorter shifts so the space heater is on more... but now I am gone for 13 hours a day and we are in the middle of a deep freeze. So I wrote a letter to my super demanding that it get fixed. So then the maintenance guy came in and the cover is still not really on the heater making it an eyesore. I kid you not but the answer I got was, "Well I can't find any issues with the heat." You have got to be kidding me. That may be but if the thermostat is turned as high as it will go then why was it 12/53 degrees in here??? Sure when the temperature went up outside the temperature went up inside... but why did the temperature get down so low? On Friday when I woke up it was 14 degrees. I complained but that went nowhere since the maintenance guy was gone all weekend. Now we are about to head into a really cold stretch... colder then it has been in a LONG time... and I have no idea what's going to happen. I can guarentee that it's going to get really cold in here. And they don't seem to be too willing to do anything about it. Told me to call next time there was no heat. Hope they don't mind me calling at midnight or so since I am working the long hours. With the space heater on right now it is registering at being room temperature but I can see the ice forming on the inside of the balcony door. There was no ice when I got home and now 5 hours later the bottom half of the door is almost frosted over. Since it's -19 degrees C out there right now I imagine that it is going to be quite cold in here tomorrow morning since I will be turning off the space heater overnight. And it looks like I will be complaining yet again. It really shouldn't be this difficult to get them to take action.

UPDATE: Complained again this morning and came home to find it 12 degrees in here again :(

3 comments:

L.Bo Marie said...

I hate being cold... that was the final straw for Sarah and I leaving the last place... the temp was staying around 15-16C last winter. I just couldn't do it!

Fallen said...

I hate it too.... Especially with the Fibromyalgia. my problem is that I am extremely passive and don't like confrontation. I am concerned that if I go to the tribunal they will make things even worse for me. Not that it could get much worse since they are already slow to do repairs or don't do them at all. And moving requires first and last, possibly signing another lease, and packing/moving.

Nixie's Mom said...

I think we know why it was so cold now:(

Counter


View My Stats