Thursday, December 20, 2007

Yellow Does Not Mean Go Faster

I was walking home from work this morning... much like I do every morning. Well right now trudge would be more appropriate. Some of the sidewalks are non-existent. Watch out for icy patches. Good times.... especially when it's 8:00 a.m. and you have just gotten off work. The eyes are adjusting to daylight, or gray skies if it is anything like today. I had just climbed the brutal hill that always makes me curse walking home and was almost at the lights on the other side when I heard the sound of sirens. Then I see the the fire department command post vehicle. Some people are stopping... some people keep going and then pull over to the right... and they get around the corner. As I am standing there I hear more sirens. As I turn around I can see the fire truck heading for the intersection with lights flashing and sirens going. Do people stop? As the light turns yellow and the fire truck is practically in the intersection I see not one, but 2 cars paying no attention to the sirens.... or the BIG red fire truck coming at them.... no their only concern is beating the red light. All I could do was shake my head. Common decency would tell you to pay attention to the sirens... and if you don't hear them then maybe it is okay to floor it and make it through that light. Since we all know that extra 2 minutes is going to make all the difference in the world. Well it just might to the people wherever the fire truck was going in such a hurry. Some people.

No comments:

Counter


View My Stats