Sunday, January 08, 2006

Fibromylgia & Depression

Okay so maybe I am still in denial... but I refuse to accept that I am depressed. I looked up the symptoms for the Fibromyalgia and for Depression and noticed there were a lot of overlapping symptoms. Not to mention with the symptoms from the fibromyalgia it's easy to see why there is a link to depression. The pain is still there... a constant reminder. But over the last year or so the fatigue has increased to the point where I have no energy at all to do anything. Even more difficult for me to deal with is the cognitive side, or "Fibro fog" that I experience. I'll lose track halfway through a sentence and have difficulty focusing. Every day is a challenge. I try and cover for the lapses but it's frustrating, especially for me. You could say something to me and I'll have no recollection.. or sometimes I won't even understand. It's like you were speaking in English and I was hearing it in Japanese. So if you know any good ways to get some restorative sleep I am all ears.

Symptoms of fibromyalgia include:

  • Chronic muscle pain, muscle spasms or tightness, and leg cramps.
  • Moderate or severe fatigue and decreased energy.
  • Insomnia or waking up feeling just as tired as when you went to sleep.
  • Stiffness upon waking or after staying in one position for too long.
  • Difficulty remembering, concentrating, and performing simple mental tasks.
  • Abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, and constipation alternating with diarrhea (irritable bowel syndrome).
  • Tension or migraine headaches.
  • Jaw and facial tenderness.
  • Sensitivity to one or more of the following: odors, noise, bright lights, medications, certain foods and cold.
  • Feeling anxious or depressed.
  • Numbness or tingling in the face, arms, hands, legs or feet.
  • Increase in urinary urgency or frequency (irritable bladder).
  • Reduced tolerance for exercise and muscle pain after exercise.
  • A feeling of swelling (without actual swelling) in the hands and feet.
  • Painful menstrual periods.
  • Dizziness.
Symptoms of depression include:

  • Sadness
  • Loss of enjoyment from things that were once pleasurable
  • Loss of energy
  • Feelings of hopelessness or worthlessness
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Difficulty making decisions
  • Insomnia or excessive sleep
  • Stomachache and digestive problems
  • Sexual problems (for example, decreased sex drive)
  • Aches and pains (such as recurrent headaches)
  • A change in appetite causing weight loss or gain
  • Thoughts of death or suicide
  • Attempting suicide

No comments:

Counter


View My Stats