Saturday, June 06, 2009

According to Yahoo...

Just one day after my losing my job I was on Yahoo and one of the stories on the front page was indicating that the worst was behind us. I must say that is small comfort for the 450 people laid off between Peterborough and Belleville. What prompted this proclamation? There was a sharp slowdown in job losses in the US last month... it wasn't even in Canada. Meanwhile the unemployment rate as of May was at an 11 year high. If you ask me when even the call center industry is laying people off you know you are in trouble. The chief economist at the Bank of Montreal was quoted as saying, "Unemployment will remain high for some time, likely peaking in mid-2010 ... (but) it will feel much better." Maybe they can explain to me how it's going to feel better... Cuz I just don't see it. Sure losing your job isn't all bad. It can be a catylst for change and can lead to something better but it still doesn't feel good. Feels pretty gut wrenching actually. But hey supposedly the worst is behind us... so it can only get better.

No comments:

Counter


View My Stats