Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Lost Art of Customer Service

I am really beginning to wonder what has happened to good customer service. I went into the bank today to close the account. If I do end up filing for bankruptcy they recommend opening an account somewhere that you don't owe money so I was planning ahead. Plus it will cost me less and gave me free movie tickets. I am all about the free sh$t. And have heard good things about Scotia Bank. So off I go to the Royal Bank. Tell them I want to close the account.... which is followed by a long silence while she just stares at the screen. Then wanders to the back to get a printout and tells me that it will cost an additional $4.55 to close the account (guess they want almost all of the monthly fees even though it's only the 17th) which I don't have on me. Had to go to the Scotia Bank to get the money and come back. Get a different teller to complete the transaction. No one said, "I am sorry to see you go", or asked why I was leaving. Nothing to try and get me to stay. I will say that they were great at using my name throughout but not so good at empathy or making me feel valued. Having said that, had I gone to the other branch... the one I normally banked at (on those rare occassions when I needed to go into a bank) they at least made conversations with me and might have had a different reaction. But not from my home branch. They didn't seem to be concerned whatsoever to see me go. Between my experiences with Cogeco and now this it makes me wonder if customer service and giving a damn about the customers is a lost art.

No comments:

Counter


View My Stats