Sunday, May 25, 2008

Shock Doctrine

Normally I wouldn't do a book review... especially for a book that I haven't even read. So I guess this really isn't a review. I am looking forward to the release of Naomi Klein's new book called "Shock Doctrine." Back when I was in university I read the book No Logo for one of my classes.

In a nutshell it challenges the idea that democracy and the free market actually go hand in hand. The argument is made that politicians exploit times of crisis and disasters to pass bills that might not get passed otherwise. It's called disaster capitalism. It's hard to argue with some of the examples that are provided. Take for instance the aftermath of the Tsunami that hit southeast Asia. Immediately following the beaches were auctioned off to tourist resorts. There are many examples following Hurricane Katrina. Housing projects wiped out. Corporations capitalizing on the plight of others.

No comments:

Counter


View My Stats