Monday, August 27, 2007

Drugs, Glorious Drugs

The other day I was suffering from a toothache. Considering I have a tooth that is slowly disintegrating that really isn't a surprise. I had managed to cut my tongue on the tooth and it was sensitive to cold drinks. Plus there was pain in the sinuses right above the tooth. So on Thursday I decided that I would be heading to the ER on Friday. I have no dental coverage (or drug coverage for that matter) and while I figured they would just wind up referring me to a dentist I know that there is some dental coverage for emergencies with OHIP so I wanted to try my luck. I knew that if nothing else I would get drugs. So when I was talking to Steve I arranged for him to pick me up.

By Thursday evening I was sick as a dog. No wonder my tooth was hurting. I was congested beyond belief and my throat was sore. In 2 hours I think I went through half a box of Kleenex. I still went to the hospital on Friday. Always a great way to spend the afternoon. It was a shorter visit then usual. I was only there for 2.5 hours instead of the usual 4. Sure enough he recommended that I go see a dentist about the tooth. The dilemma there is two-fold. The main reason for not going is that it will cost me about $150 to see the dentist and then go back to have the tooth extracted. If I had the money I would do it. But the other dilemma is that I don't want to lose the tooth if I don't have to. There is no way I can afford to get it capped if that's the other option. The doctor also gave me a prescription for an antibiotic. He offered a pain reliever but I turned it down. I still have T3s if it comes to that.

I'm not so crazy about medications... especially ones that you have to take with food 3x a day. It also leads you to be dehydrated so I have to drink more water then I normally would... Water that is not in a pretty red can, with flavouring. *lol* At least the side effects aren't like being on penicillin. I told them I was allergic so that I would get something else. I'm already starting to feel better, not so congested. Don't get me wrong I am still congested. It's just not as bad. I'm guessing that means it wasn't just a virus that I had.

You know I am sick when I am eating soup. I don't eat soup as a general rule. I'm also making sure I rest and take it easy so that I will get better quickly. I figure there is no point in overdoing it and trying to do too much since it will just end up taking longer to heal and get better. But right now I am all about the medication.

No comments:

Counter


View My Stats