Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Purple & Proud

I was reading the August edition of Scientific American Mind today. There were some interesting articles in it. For anyone involved in leadership I recommend that they check out this article on leadership. Another interesting article was on the rate of dropouts in post-secondary education in the US. Graduation rates are about 40% for public institutions and 57% for private institutions. Having said that 60% of the jobs in the US requires post secondary education. So the question is.... why do so many people drop out?

According to the article, "Whether a person stays in college can depend on how well she [he] socially integrates into the college community... Students who socially assimilate are generally those whose values, cultural background and academic interests match those of the college they have chosen."

I still remember the first time I laid eyes on the campus for the University of Western Ontario. I immediately felt at home. I was still in high school at the time and was visiting my sister. Even just looking at the architecture and landscaping made me want to go there. And so I did. I went to Huron University College, a smaller college within the university. The smaller colleges allow for smaller classes, more interaction with the professors, but still being able to take classes and interact with a large school. I identified greatly with the school and the beliefs found at the school. I wore the school colours with pride. I still wear the school colours with pride. It wasn't all that long ago I found myself purchasing clothing for Huron University College since it was the first time I had seen them available, even though I graduated 5 years ago. I still long for the leather jacket with a Mustang on it. Each fall I feel a twinge of nostalgia and think of homecoming. The thought of dropping out never even crossed my mind.... probably because I had such a strong identification with my alma matter.

Contrast that to my time at Trent. Unlike my time at Huron I hated it there. I did not feel like I fit in with the community. I wasn't enough of a tree-hugger. I also wasn't a stoner. For whatever reason, I always felt like I was on the outside. Being a smaller school then UWO I also didn't feel like there were as many choices in classes. At Western I got spoiled with my classes on young offenders, thanatology and especially the ones on media studies. With the disconnection it was a struggle to go to class and be motivated there. I was also working full time. When I got sick it made for a great excuse to drop out of school and leave the degree unfinished.

You can also contrast transportation. In London the buses typically run every 15 minutes, except on a few routes. It is pretty easy to get around. For the first 3 years I was able to walk to and from campus if I did not want to wait for the bus. There were buses between the colleges and extra buses on certain routes to ease the congestion. Transportation was great! In Peterborough it's a nightmare. It runs every 30 minutes and is rarely on time. The university is on the ouskirts of town so if you're relying on public transportation you are hoping to be there on time. It's a gamble. And since it's so far away you have to leave long before the classes start.

Even the cities are different and have a different atmosphere. London, ON is a big city but it still feels like a small town. It is the forest city. In spite of it being a big city I always felt safe walking home. Here in Peterborough I can't say the same thing. It's a small town but in spite of that fact I was always reluctant when walking home from work at night.

Community... Integration... Acceptance... Branding.. Even the school you go to is a brand. Either you buy into it and will graduate or you don't and are more likely to drop out and pursue life elsewhere. Reasons why it is so important to check out the college before you attend to get a sense of life there. As for me, "Go 'Stangs go!"

1 comment:

Nixie's Mom said...

you've been tagged by me in a post - read the rules for '8 secrets' on my blog! Have fun...

Counter


View My Stats