Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Lunchtime and Alcoholic Beverages

I had some errands to run yesterday morning after work. No big deal but then I didn't want to go home and cook before having to go to bed. So I went down to Swiss Chalet. I couldn't order a Pepsi because I don't like Pepsi... and didn't want any more caffeine in my system. So I ordered a strawberry daquiri instead. The waitress looks at me and says, "That's a virgin daquiri, right?" Did I ask for a virgin drink? I don't think so. So then she says that she asks everyone that when they order a drink at noon.

It still irks me. For one, there are a lot of people that work midnights. I had been up for 14 hours and to me it was a late dinner. If I had come in there at 6 pm nothing would be said... even though I would actually be on my way to work at the time.

Secondly, it's about judgment. You order a drink with lunch and society seems to think that it's a problem. Now with business men it's acceptable. It's like there is this automatic assumption that you are an alcoholic if you have a drink at noon... even though they can legally serve you alcohol after 11:00 a.m. The last drink I think I had was Christmas time when I went out with the family. Haven't been to a bar since November. So it's not like I drink all that often. But I don't want someone to critisize me (or feel like they are) for having a drink with lunch.... After all... It's not even my lunch.

I think that for places that serve alcohol it would be good to go with the thought that if they didn't order a virgin drink then it means they wanted the alcohol. After all it's the patron's responsibility to order the drink the way that they want it. And if I order a daquiri I want the rum. Now that I have Pirates of the Caribbean going through my head and the line, "Why is the rum gone?"

1 comment:

L.Bo Marie said...

now I crave rum....

Counter


View My Stats