Sunday, February 10, 2008

Tales in Customer Service

For once I am not venting about Apple's lack of service. Back in December I pre-ordered the Resident Evil trilogy from Blockbuster. I had $100 in store credit and they really haven't been getting in any Blu-rays. So I went with something expensive since I knew that I would end up paying more any ways. The customer service rep wasn't sure if they would be able to order it since it was a Blu-ray title but promised that he would look into it and let me know if there was a problem. I went in a week before the release date to make sure it was ordered. "Oh yeah, no problem" I was told. So I go in January 1 to pick up my movies and everything came to a crashing halt. It had not been ordered at all. Say what? I was told that they would look into it and get back to me. A few days later I got a phone call promising that it would be in the following week.

So I called on Tuesday to see if there was any news. I figured since movies were released that day it meant that they would be getting in shipments on Mondays. Turns out the shipments come in on Wednesdays so I was told to call back. I stopped in on my way to work. Why waste cell phone minutes? I was already in the area to get dinner so it was all good. No sign of it. But I was told it might be in by the end of the week. Since I had been promised that it would be in that week I went back in. The customer service rep this time was pretty rude. First words out of her mouth were, "Did we call?" This was followed by "wait until we call." Guess they don't want me shopping for anything else.

The following week I still hadn't heard anything so, while at work (of course), I managed to locate an email address for Blockbuster's customer service. I decided to email them with my tail of woe and see what happens. I didn't figure I'd even hear back. But I was getting frustrated. After all I paid for the movies... cost me something like $140 in the end (including the store credit) so I wanted my merchandise. They replied within a few days (which made sense since I emailed them on the weekend). Sent it off to the district guy who got back to me pretty quickly as well. Here I was getting my hopes up. They were telling me that there was a problem with the order. According to the supplier the title was not available and according to Sony it is. They basically said that they would know that day (or the next) if they could get it. They were also going to match Future Shop's price if they could get it (since it was $40 cheaper). So far so good right? Except that I didn't hear back. I waited until the beginning of the following week and then emailed the district guy again. All I wanted was a yes/no answer. Is it available? Didn't get that... He told me that he was going to be checking with the store that day. And once again I never heard back.

Almost a month after it was released I still did not have my merchandise and had no way to know if I was ever going to get it. I keep checking for good deals on Blu (like my misprint for Lost: Season 3 which I got for $24.99) and discovered that Amazon.com had the Resident Evil trilogy for $48.99. Since Future Shop had it for $72.99 that was a wee bit of a difference. I jumped on that deal. Got it for $58 including shipping. So then I had to go into Blockbuster to get my money back. Almost 2 months after the whole ordeal started I still had the $100 in store credit to spend and was back where I started. But I did save quite a bit of money in the process.

I did get a couple of Blus while I was in Blockbuster but they were still overpriced. Why is it that they specialize in movies and can't even compete price wise with other stores? I still have $14 left and no idea what to buy.... As I mentioned previously, I might put it towards a previously viewed movie so that I don't have to spend as much on both formats. Or perhaps a previously played game. But I am not playing that many PS3 games these days. Or maybe they will even start getting in Blu-rays... but then again they even say on their web site that prices start at $34.99. Definitely overpriced... especially compared to the States.

I can say this... after using Blockbuster to build up my DVD collection I have absolutely no desire to ever step foot in that Blockbuster ever again.... other then to use up my store credit. This whole experience has been extremely poor and they really have done nothing to retain me as a customer. I am more then happy to support Future Shop and Amazon with my hard earned cash. Blockbuster is now on my boycott list.

No comments:

Counter


View My Stats