Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Maybe it is Time to Move

The other day I got home from work just after 8 like I normally do. On my way upstairs I remember thinking just how nice it is to work nights since now I am not home when the fire alarm goes off. As it turns out, I picked the wrong morning to be having that thought. Not 2 hours later the fire alarm is going off. Azrael is hiding in my closet and the super is banging on the door... an indication it's a real fire. So I grab shoes, coat, wallet and cell phone and venture out into the hallway. I must say that all those things I learned in school about what to do in case of a fire has long since disappeared from memory. On my way outside I almost trampled some little old lady. Personally, I just chalk it up to Darwinism and "Survival of the fittest." Don't worry I didn't push her down the stairs or anything. Get outside and you can see smoke billowing from a third floor window. Fortunately it was on the other side of the building and away from my apartment. The fire department got there pretty quick. There were 4 fire trucks, the command vehicle, 2 police cars and an ambulance. Lots of activity. After almost an hour (good thing it wasn't all that cold) a bus showed up. It was somewhere to sit that was a little warmer. But, not even 10 minutes later, we were given the all clear and allowed to return home. Seems it was caused by an improperly placed heater. What concerns me most is that this is the 4th fire since I moved in 2 years ago. Granted most of them have been minor but still. I have never had the pleasure (or pain more like it) of being evacuated from a burning building before.... and now it seems to be a regular occurrence. Perhaps it's time to look for a new place to live... or at least get insurance on all my belongings. Pictures to come later, I am currently at work.

No comments:

Counter


View My Stats