Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Long Hours at Work

I know I go for long periods without posting and then usually have a few posts at the same time. Right now I do have a legitimate excuse. I am working 55 hours a week so I don't have a whole lot of time to do much of anything. I am not going to lie. It is hard to work 12 hour shifts. But let's face it how many people work 2 jobs just to make ends meet? I just have to put in extra hours at one job which to me is easier.

It all started when I discovered the Columbia House movie club. Or should I say I discovered they have Blu-rays. They had an amazing deal going where you buy 1 movie and get the rest at 60% off. I posted about it before here and just kept buying. I knew what I was getting into and what I would have to do to pay it off. Now this is the last week, for the most part, for the Columbia House orders. Of which I am still waiting for 11 pre-orders, 8 movies, 2 TV shows and the Matrix Ultimate Collection.

I still haven't completely decided just how long I am going to work the OT for. My general thought right now is to work it for as long as I can handle it. I am not a big fan of winter any ways so work the extra hours since I don't want to see the outside world and make some extra money in the process.

I have some thoughts about what to put the money towards.... For instance I would like to replace my camera. I would also like to save up some money for my vacation time so that I can do something... whether it's going to Niagara with a friend of mine.... or visiting some tropical locale the OT can help pay for it. I would also like an HD TV.... although I am not sure that I have enough motivation to go for that one. I can handle the thought of 3 weeks (say for the camera) or 4 weeks (maybe 6-8) for the vacation... but it would like 3 months to pay for the TV. That might be pushing it. Especially since I need 1 week of OT a month just to pay bills as on my normal pay I am about $200 short a month. I could also do the responsible thing and pay bills with that money.

It is demanding and it certainly does take a toll. I am pretty tired and, as of late, the Fibromyalgia has also been bothering me. But I actually find it to be a good thing. The $1200 (after tax) pay cheque that I just got was nice, of course. But I am also on a routine. It helps me sleep better at night. I sleep through the night as a result. For the most part I am also on a TV fast during the week. After all I don't have a whole lot of time after work so usually I can' be bothered even turning the TV on until possibly Friday night. I don't spend a lot of time with people like SS who take a toll on me so mentally it helps me. And it really does make me appreciate my time off. I was really taking for granted the time off that I had. Now I find that I want to relax more on my days off... and just enjoy the solitude. as weird as it may sound I actually think that working the long shifts is a great thing for me and really helps create a sense of balance and makes me appreciate what I have and the time that I have to myself.

No comments:

Counter


View My Stats