Friday, February 16, 2007

The Price of Lunch


When you think about the price of lunch you think of McDonald's... or Subway. I mentioned before that I have been working through my lunch and yesterday I finally started to think about the price. There is the health... But there is also the finances. I don't get paid for that time even though I am working. Time for some math:

$14.15/hour
30 minutes a day allotted for lunch
5 work days in a week
2.5 hours a week x 4 weeks in a month
10 hours a month x 9 months
= 90 hours
= $1273.50 in lost wages

I am kind of wondering how legal that is. I know that they have to give you the 30 minutes unpaid to take your lunch. But can they actually withhold your pay for working through your lunch? I know they can choose not to pay you if you don't take the 15 minute paid break... but can they really dock you the 30 minutes? I've tried looking on the web site for the Ministry of Labour but haven't found an answer. That's an expensive lunch.

No comments:

Counter


View My Stats