Sunday, April 20, 2008

Small Ray of Sunshine

I am still adjusting to the day shifts. It's so odd to see daylight again. This morning I slept in until Azrael jumped up on the bed any ways. He was my wake up call. I must say that the timing of it all was actually not such a bad thing. In winter there isn't a whole lot of sunlight and it was so cold that I didn't want to be outside. Now it's gorgeous weather outside. On Friday after work I took a long walk down to Chapters and the grocery store. It's also good because I am walking to work. I am not a fan of the cold and would much prefer to hibernate in the winter.

Monday payroll went in. The question had been raised about using vacation days to cover the 2 days that we lost. There was no response from HR. I guess, much like with everything else, they were still working on it. So we asked Heather, the trainer, about it. When we went on lunch she went to HR. The initial answer was no because they don't pay out the vacation pay. But then Heather realized that it wasn't that we were asking to pay it out... but to cover the days that we had missed. So back to HR she went... In the end she contacted the site director and after about an hour and a half had been told that we would all get vacation time for Monday and if we were scheduled to work Saturday then we would also get vacation pay for then as well. I was able to breathe a sigh of relief. That's a difference of $160. And with that pay cheque I had to cover my tax return.

Then on Wednesday we got our pay stubs. I am now cautiously optimistic. They kept us at our original rate... Well the shift premium was obviously excluded but that extra 75 cents is an extra $30 a week. That adds up pretty quickly and makes the difference between being able to pay bills and not being able to. I am scared that on the next pay cheque they will say that it was an error and take it away. I'm pretty sure if they try that there will be a cry of outrage. But we'll see. I wouldn't put anything past them at this point. Either way I did get paid the extra and am hopeful that it will continue.

No comments:

Counter


View My Stats