Sunday, October 01, 2006

Validation

Ever notice that we shrug off comments made by other people... but when it comes from someone that truly understands where you are coming from it makes a huge difference. You really feel validated then for feeling the way you do. I have had a number of people tell me I was courageous for going to the police and for pressing charges against Mike. But it was a long, drawn out process and ultimately the charges were dropped. For as much as people said I did the right thing I had lost that sense of justice and was beginning to wonder if I did the right thing. In fact I was thinking there was no right answer... There was just pain and more pain. But I got a reply on my blog that reminded me I am not alone. Every 2.5 minutes someone is raped. 65% are never reported. That is scary. But when they said I was brave for reporting it I suddenly felt validated. No it wasn't the outcome I would've liked to have seen but I can hold my head high. I didn't let him get way with it. I did everything I could and I would've seen it through. There was no fairty tale ending to the story but there were some valuable life lessons... including one in making a stand even when you are all alone.

No comments:

Counter


View My Stats