Saturday, June 30, 2007

Brutal End to a Brutal Day

So the good news was that I got the MacBook Pro. The bad news was that I also discovered I had another infected abscess. That really took away from the day. This time it was on the right hand side and, of course, since that is my dominant hand I tend to use that arm more often. I was just at the hospital a month ago for this... I really didn't want to go back. But I know what happens if you don't get it taken care of. You end up at the ER crying like a baby when they cut it open. So I was trying to be happy about the MacBook Pro (once I got it working anyways) but was exhausted, in pain, and dreading that trip to the ER. Each time I end up having to go in twice and each visit is about 4 hours.... Not exactly how I wanted to spend the long weekend.

So Friday I make my way down to the ER. When I get there it is packed. So I get through triage and take a seat. 30 minutes later not a single name has been called, either for the fast track or for the non-fast tracked. I did get to see the security guards have to restrain someone after they ripped their IV out. I think it took about 2.5 hours for me to make it to the fast track area. How the hell is this fast tracked? By this point I am developing a REALLY bad migraine. Finally get in to see the doctor and he tells me it's too small to drain and puts me on an antibiotic. Now it's good news that they don't have to surgically drain it. But that also means that I could end up having to go back if it worsens. The other bad news is that they put me on an antibiotic. I have no drug coverage currently and am so broke that I borrowed $20 to cover rent. So then I ended up having to borrow another $25 for the antibiotics.

Finally have something to eat while I take the medication. And the migraine is so bad that I am trying not to vomit. It's pretty rare for the pain to be that bad. I get home and lay down on the futon. I wanted to stay up so I could take another round of the antibiotics before going to bed. But it was pretty brutal. I was dozing off and on. It was also hurting my neck.

And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.... at 2:00 a.m. the fire alarm goes off. So not what I needed. Splitting headache.... and the alarm is not quiet. So I stumble around to get shoes.... keys... phone.... and then head out the door. Now I run into a guy in the hallway that tells me the alarm was pulled on the 4th floor and shows the alarm. But at least it's quieter outside so I keep going. And I am standing out front when the command post arrives. He asks me how I'm doing. My response, "Better if the alarm wasn't going off." Then 2 fire trucks arrive. But they didn't stay long. This must have been the shortest alarm ever which is good.

Today is a much better day. The migraine is gone. So far today the medication has not made me nauseous. I suspect that will be a short lived thought since it made me feel pretty sick yesterday. Went out and got some sun. Now I am relaxing. I am pretty tired from my lack of sleep Wednesday night... and just a culmination of things so I am taking it easy for the remainder of today... and probably the rest of the weekend too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A wise move. Sorry to hear your "Canada Day" week end was not a brilliant celebration. Call me if you want to talk rather than type.

Counter


View My Stats