Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Low Blood Cell Counts

Last post of the day... I promise. Apparently I have too much time on my hands when I'm working days. Or maybe too many idle thoughts. I suppose it could also be avoidance. But these are some of the terms associated with low blood counts.

  • Myelosuppression - a decrease in the production of blood cells, which may lead to low blood count.
  • Pancytopenia - a lowering of all three types of blood cells; red blood cells, platelets, and white blood cells, which may lead to low red blood cell count, low blood platlet count, and/or low white blood cell count.
  • Anemia - a decrease in the number of red blood cells (RBC), which may lead to low red blood count.
  • Thrombocytopenia - a decrease in the number of platelets (PLT), which may lead to low blood platlet count.
  • Leukopenia - a decrease in the total number of white blood cells (WBC), which may lead to low white blood cell count.
  • Neutropenia - a decrease in the number of neutrophils, one type of white blood cell, which may lead to low white blood cell count.
  • Granulocytopenia - a decrease in the number of granulocytes, the group of white blood cells that include neutrophils, basophils and eosinophils, which may lead to low white blood cell count.
Can I put my vote in for a deficiency in Vitamin B-12 and Folic Acid? That seems to be one of the only options that isn't serious or life threatening. Fun words like leukemia, lymphoma and aplastic anemia also appear.

Or maybe the game is to pick a door and whatever is behind it is what you get.

What do we have behind door #1? Lymphoma
Behind door #2 is autoimmune disorder
Behind door #3 is a deficiency in Vitamin B-12 and Folic acid
Behind door #4 is a genetic mutant (if so I want some super power)
Behind door #5 we have aplastic anemia
Behind door #6 we have an infection
Lastly behind door #7 we have leukemia

Hmmm.... I really want door #3 or maybe those super powers. Tough choice. Alright I am done rambling for the day. Time to curl up with Azrael for a little while.

No comments:

Counter


View My Stats