Thursday, January 18, 2007

Bill 183

Most people take their identity for granted. They know who they are and who their parents are. They also know (or can find out) their medical history. I'm not that lucky. I was adopted at birth. I have some information but nothing identifying. Bill 183 is supposed to change all that. Adoption records would finally be unsealed and people would be able to access their original birth certificates and identifying information. It is supposed to take effect in September of 2007. Finally some closure... and I can stop wondering.

But there is a problem. There has been a constitutional challenge to the bill. Four applicants believe the law is unconstitutional and is a violation of privacy. They want at minimum a disclosure veto be included. At worst they want the bill to be blocked. It will be before the courts in June. I hope that it will go through so I can finally put the pieces together to my past.

No comments:

Counter


View My Stats