Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Coaching Style


Everyone has their own unique personality. As such we can't treat them all the same. This is important to remember for anyone who is in a supervisory position or does any type of coaching. I work as a performance coach. And what works for one person is not going to work for someone else. A lot of people have trouble with this. After all it requires looking at things with someone else's eyes and not our own. It is definitely not easy. Some agents want to spend time just chatting and while there are times when you want to just cut it off because you have other jobs to do... the point is that they are your agents. If this is what they need then that is what you give them. You have to be willing to listen, even if it's not about work. There are other agents that don't want that... They just want to go back to doing the job. You have to tailor your coaching to the individual.

The reason I was even thinking about this was actually in regards to myself and what I need. I don't generally need someone to sugar coat things. I want to hear it straight up. But I also don't respond well to micromanagement or someone checking up on me. That is restrictive and is the fastest way to make me feel like I am not valued.

It's like a Rubick's Cube. You have to adjust things until you find the combination that works for that specific person. Just remember, it's about that person. So get to know them... and find out what they need from you.

No comments:

Counter


View My Stats