Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Answer I Didn't Want

I am definitely glad that this is not my 100th post. I'm starting to think it was a sign this morning when I got up and it was raining outside. We were late leaving Peterborough and it rained the entire drive to Pickering. Not a good way to start the day.

It was about to get worse... much worse. The reason the doctor wanted me to come in wasn't because of my medications... or because I hadn't been in for a while. He had the results of the blood work. I wanted to know why I was tired all the time. I guess I got the answer... it just wasn't the one I wanted. About 2 months ago they had run some tests and part of that testing was a CBC to check the levels of white blood cells, red blood cells, and platelets. A few days later they called, wanting me to come back for more tests. Both times the white blood cell count, and the platelet count came back abnormal. As you can imagine that's not a good thing. I'm pretty sure the doctor said they were both low. So when I went to see my family doctor he wanted to run the tests again and is planning to refer me to a hematologist. That doesn't sound so bad... until it was followed by this sentence, "You're likely going to need a bone marrow biopsy done." He wants to make sure the bone marrow is still producing blood cells like it should be.

No sooner had I heard those words... and had the blood work done... I was on my way back to Peterborough to head off to work. Believe me, work was not where I wanted to be. I worked my shift and then came home. I am happy to be off for the next two days. Going to try and just rest and take it easy. Now it's a waiting game. I won't know anything for the next two weeks.. and then still have to wait for the hematologist. It's the not knowing that I hate.

Right about now I should also point out there are 101 reasons why the blood cell count is low. Yes, there is leukemia. But there is also vitamin deficiencies, certain types of anemia, and a whole variety of other causes. At this point only time will tell.

No comments:

Counter


View My Stats