Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Justice Part 2

There was a time I believed in justice. I was naive and thought I lived in a just world. It was my belief that life was fair and while I believed in rehabilition I also believed in restitution. My ideas of justice and the perfect world have been called into question lately. Perhaps I feel differently having been a victim of crime. When I got a call a couple of weeks ago telling me the charges were being dropped it was like I was victimized all over again. If I had known this was how it was going to turn out I wouldn't have gone to the police at all. Spending 10 hours at the police station and the hospital was not my idea of a good day. I had my name dragged through the mud at work. For what? They dropped the charges due to a lack of evidence and the fact there were no witnesses. I was sexually assaulted. Of course there were no witnesses. The cop that told me the charges were dropped pointed out the fact I wouldn't have to testify. Yes that is a good thing and was not something I was looking forward to. But I knew that I was going to have to testify and was prepared to do so. It was disappointing and did nothing but reinforce the victimization a sexual assault victim goes through every step of the way. It's no wonder it is so under-reported. Makes me rethink the whole idea of justice as well. I have been let down by the justice system and there is nothing I can do.

1 comment:

Fallen said...

Thanks for the support. It was 8 months ago so I am over it. Just a little jaded by the justice system.

I should know more in about 2 weeks... hopefully.

Counter


View My Stats