Saturday, May 13, 2006

The Move

The move really did turn out to be a nightmare. Friday morning I went down to sign the lease and pick up the keys. Steve was mad because I didn't get up earlier but he had told me that he wasn't moving anything until after work. So I got the keys and went to work. Finished work at 9:30 and helped Steve start moving some stuff. Went to bed around 2:30 a.m. Got up and went back to work. Steve had initially said he wanted to be done on Saturday night which was a great plan. I only had one day off and wanted to spend it unpacking. But... it really didn't work that way. Steve hadn't taken into account the fact that the May 1 weekend is the number one time for people to be moving. So he didn't get done nearly as much as he wanted to. After work on the Saturday I was packing up all the odds and ends from the kitchen and making sure that everything else was ready to go. On one of the first loads he took my bed. That kind of aggravated me. I understood why he did it... but I knew the move wasn't going to be done Saturday night. I had figured I wouldn't be leaving until the bitter end since when I went I had to tak Azrael with me. So then he took the futon... leaving me nothing to sleep on. I ended up being up for 24 hours. Then I just passed out on the floor with my duvet and a pillow. Within 30 minutes 2 kids were banging on the door to sell me something. Got rid of them and passed out again. Then Steve woke me up to move more of the stuff. I get up and there is nothing I can do. I don't have any furniture there and Steve had the keys to my new apartment. So by this point it's my one day off... and I am stuck doing nothing. Around 5:30 Joe (the new tenant) comes by with his brother and a friend. They load up Steve's van but couldn't do anything else. So then I was just killing time until 9:30 when Steve got off work. Joe and company were supposed to be there at 9:30 to help Steve move the rest of my stuff. Well they showed up... but with a load of their own stuff. Then 2 more loads. At 11:30 Steve finally heads over to my new place but not with any of them. He did get some help... but the guy just dropped the stuff off outside and left. So now it's unprotected and Steve is still doing everything by himself. Around 1:30 in the morning he got back and I could pack up the computer and the cat and finish the move. At 2:00 a.m. I had to find my clothes, the alarm clock, and the stuff for the cat. Then on Monday I was back at work. The only good part about that was that it was a night shift. Needless to say it was a long weekend.

Once the move was done came the fun job of unpacking. More late nights and little sleep. Fortunately, it's now done... except for the air conditioner and blinds. Working on both of those. The thermostat also seems to not be working. It took a couple of days to notice since I was unpacking. Then I turned it down and it didn't help. Even with the doors wide open it's still about 75 degrees in here. That's cooler then it was but it's kind of annoying since it means I wake up to the sounds of traffic and since it's been raining for 2 days I can feel the humidity. I have mentioned it 3x to the super now and still no word on when it will be fixed. Thank goodness I am not paying utilities.

But I do love the new apartment. I finally have my own space again. it almost reminds me of one of my apartments in London. I turned the dining area into a mini office. I've also got a balcony again. The only potential downside is getting to work. It's not quite as convenient as living in the same building I work in. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Now I just need some time to actually relax and enjoy it.

No comments:

Counter


View My Stats