Saturday, May 27, 2006

Zyban Part 2

First of all should I be concerned about the fact I am taking an anti-depressant to help me quit smoking? Maybe it's just me but I find that kind of odd. I think I'll just ignore that since it is working. It's also the only aid to quitting smoking that does not include nicotine.

I can honestly say that it really does reduce the effects of withdrawal. There are very few times I actually have a craving. And even then it passes really quickly. I don't have the insomnia like I had last time around. Of course, I am also on medications to help me sleep. But no headaches, anxiety, restlessness or trouble concentrating. More importantly no irritability either... well okay very little. And I don't think that is actually from the withdrawal but from unrelated stress.

Since it alters the brain chemistry and the neurotransmitters it really shouldn't be surprised that there is a dark side to it. You can't alter the neurotransmitters and expect that everyone will react positively. Most, if not all, newer anti-depressants have to have a warning about the increased risk of suicide. Now I really did have a reaction to Zoloft but not to Zyban. I know that Zyban is not an SSRI and the two focus on different centers in the brain.

No comments:

Counter


View My Stats